Thursday, July 31, 2008
August is always alittle slow on the snowman news blotter but truth be told the staff at Today's Snowman has been working overtime on two new books plus giving a hand to the growing blog, Freelancer's Lament. If you need a silliness fix (and especially, if you're a writer, artist, illustrator, or photographer) please check it out.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Friday, July 18, 2008
SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA – Authorities asked the public to keep an eye out for mentally unstable Jimmy "Snowman" Roberts who allegedly handed a demand note to a teller at the Wells Fargo branch office. The Snowman flashed a revolver during the holdup, fled on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash and has stated he will not go back to prison. He is white, 5 feet, 11 inches tall and roughly 160 pounds. He generally sports a mustache and has several tattoos, including one reading "Snowman" on his left forearm. Officials asked anyone with information on the suspect's whereabouts to call San Diego County Crime Stoppers at 888-580-8477.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Snowman sheet music for the piano from 1944 ($10)
NEW YORK CITY – So just returned from a week at Brimfield and even though when asked what I was looking for during my guest spot on WCAP, I replied, "a clean bathroom," I was and am on my continual lifelong search for all things snowman. In Brimfield I met my friend Gary Sohmers of the Antiques Roadshow who gave me two snowmen gifts, one a fluffy snowman puppet sure to provide me endless hours of amusement in the future. For details of this week please click here.
Snowman stocking holder. The guy wanted $15 and went down to $5. He said it was one of a kind but was ready to let it go. When I returned the next day there was an identical one in the same place.
Friday, July 11, 2008
A delicious cooling summertime treat called Watermelon Snowman.
1. Using one round seedless watermelon and two personal sized watermelons (one larger and one smaller), cut a ¼ i nch slice off the bottom of each melon to provide a stable base. Use the smallest melon for the head, the next largest for the torso and the largest for the lower body.
2. Cut the tops off of the large and medium watermelons, as shown, to create bowls. Scoop out flesh.
3. Taking the smallest watermelon that has not yet been cut, scoop out eyes using a melon baller. Invert melon balls and reinsert.
4. Using a mini melon baller or a paring knife, scoop out holes for the nose and mouth. Carve a piece of watermelon into a triangle for the nose, and fill mouth holes with blueberries.
5. Connect all three watermelons on a platter, using large wooden skewers.
6. Insert y-shaped sticks into middle watermelon for arms.
7. Fill bottom sections with fruit salad of melon balls and blueberries. Decorate with scarf and hat.
Special thanks to haiku genius, David A. Giacalone at f/k/a and Chef Harry for the wonderful recipe.
Monday, July 7, 2008
EVERETT, WASHINGTON – A man in love made a snowman kneeling on one knee to propose to his high school sweetheart, Katie, while on leave from duty as a USMC Cpl.
Christina Harper, of The Herald, reported the tale and more of the love story can be enjoyed at the link. The above picture is NOT of sweethearts Katie or Jason – Christina informed me, unfortunately, that no photo exists of the proposing snowman (photo from The History of the Snowman.).
Thursday, July 3, 2008
BETHEL, MAINE – It's official. The Guinness Book of World's Records has declared Olympia, the world's tallest snowman (and/or woman) at 122 feet and one inch high. The snow sculpture was built by the town back in February – to see it in it's current state, there is a live webcam at the Bethel snowman blog. Congratulations Bethel and The Bethel Area Chamber of Commerce!
Previous Today's Snowman Stories
- ► 2014 (15)
- ► 2013 (34)
- ► 2012 (25)
- ► 2011 (38)
- ► 2010 (32)
- ▼ July (7)